To give yourself the energy you need when you face a difficult moment, focus on meeting your basic needs:
- Sleep – Create a calm bedtime routine and try to stick to a daily sleep schedule.
- Eating – Have regular healthy meals and snacks to give you energy.
- Relaxation – Pick an activity that is calming and do that activity daily.
- Friendship – We all need a support system. Make time to connect with your support system.
If you are unsure of what some of your other needs are, try listening to your emotions. Our emotions are there to give us information about what we might need. When you notice a strong emotion, ask yourself, “what do I need right now?” You might need a hug, a quiet space, or a few deep breaths. Then, honor your needs and don’t be afraid to ask for help from someone who is trustworthy.
Please visit Healing from Trauma for more resources and tips for healing from trauma.
Remember you are not alone, and please always seek help if you need it.
- In crisis? It’s okay to reach out for help. Text the word “NATIVE” to 741-741 and you’ll be connected with a trained crisis counselor. From stress or anxiety to trauma or grief – they’re trained to listen. The service is free, confidential, and available 24/7.
- Take a look at these self-care resources from love is respect: https://www.loveisrespect.org/resources/self-care/
- Try these grounding techniques for anxiety: https://www.healthline.com/health/grounding-techniques
- We all can get down and feel like no one understands what we’re going through. One of the great things about being Native, is that we are all connected and can have each other’s back. Text “CARING’’ to 65664 to receive regular reminders about how awesome you are from people who care!