Even when a relationship is going good, it’s important to work at it and not take it – or the person you’re dating – for granted. The best way to keep a relationship strong, healthy and growing is for you to be aware of your own needs and expectations and communicate those with the person you’re dating.
Here are some ways people keep your relationships strong:
- Be honest and trusting. If you can’t trust the person you’re dating maybe they’re not the one for you.
- Keep communicating and talking.
- Accept your differences.
- Voice your opinions and frustrations, but do it respectfully.
- Respect each other’s time and space.
- Spend time with yourself and make sure that you work at making your other relationships strong.
Unfortunately, sometimes a relationship goes downhill, no matter how hard you work at it. If you’re in a situation where your relationship isn’t a positive factor in your life, it’s a good idea to end it. Check out When a relationship is ending.
It’s especially important to end your relationship if you’re in a situation where you’re being hurt or abused by someone. If you’re not sure how to leave your partner, talk to someone you trust, like a friend, family member, counselor or social worker. Check out the Abusive relationships snd the Intimate partner violence fact sheets.
Acknowledgement: This fact sheet was originally developed by youth and staff at ReachOut.com, a website that helps teens get through tough times.