Moving Away to Attend College
- Write a list of all the advantages and disadvantages of going away to school;
- Talk through your list with family and friends;
- Take your time with the decision.
- Leaving home. It’s natural to have mixed feelings about leaving home. You can also check out the Leaving home fact sheetfor
- Living on or off campus. Many people who choose to move away for school decide to live on campus, especially for the first year. Regardless
of whether you live on or off campus, a new living situation can also be both exciting and stressful.
- Making the transition easier. It might help to remember that you aren’t alone. Other people who have just moved probably feel the
same way. You might find it helpful to talk to other students.
- Give it time. Moving away from home and starting college is a big move. It’s important to give yourself time to get used to the change.
- Have something to look forward to. Sometimes it can be helpful to plan ahead so that you have something to look forward to
- Create your own space. Making a space of your own can help you to bring a bit of home to campus life.
Acknowledgement: This fact sheet was originally developed by youth and staff at ReachOut.com, a website that helps teens get through tough times.