How do you know if you're in a good relationship?
Hi LaShaun, that’s a good question. The truth is that every relationship is unique, and everyone has their own way of knowing if a relationship is right for them.That being said, your relationship has a high chance of being a healthy one if you and your boy/girlfriend are:
- Communicating well. You can talk openly about problems without shouting or yelling. You listen to one another and are willing to compromise.
- Respectful of one another. Culture, beliefs, opinions and boundaries are valued. You treat each other in a way that demonstrates the high esteem you hold for one another.
- Trusting. You both trust each other, and the trust has been earned.
- Honest. You are both honest with each other, but can still choose to keep certain things private.
- Equal. You make decisions together and you hold each other to the same standards.
- Have personal space. You both enjoy spending time apart and respect when one of you needs space.
- Make consensual sexual decisions. You talk openly about sexual decisions together. You both consent to sexual activity and can talk about what’s ok and what isn’t.
LaShaun - now I just have to say this to be a good Auntie - if you are in a situation where a relationship turns sour and you are being hurt by someone (either emotionally or physically) you may want to consider getting out of the relationship. If you are unsure of how to go about this, talk to someone you trust, like a friend, your parents, a teacher, or a counselor.
I hope that helps!