Hello, I am from the San Pasqual Indian Reservation. We had to take are tribe to court to fight to get our Per Cap my question is do you know how long it should take in order for you to get your money. Also do you have to hire a Native America Attorney to help fight case to get your Per Cap.

Hi there! Thanks for writing in and sorry it took a while to get back to you!

One of the many strengths of Indian Nations today is tribal sovereignty. Tribal sovereignty means that tribes have the power to govern themselves. Each federally recognized tribe retains the rights of an independent sovereign nation apart from the local, state or federal government. Simply put, Tribes have the ability to self-determine what is best for the welfare of its tribal citizens for issues in their home communities.

In today’s tribal government structures, there is a Tribal Administration office that works closely with Tribal leadership on their governance orders. Your question of per capita payments and timeline for delivery are good ones! I would suggest checking in with your Tribal Administration’s Chief Operating Officer as a concerned tribal citizen seeking updates and action on issues that are import to you. Consider writing a letter or making a phone call to get an update.

Hiring a private attorney who has specialty in tribal law could be both expensive and hard to find, so lobbying your local tribal council representative and tribal leadership can be effective, especially if you’re joining forces with other concerned citizens, like you!

Attending a tribal town hall meeting or writing an op-ed letter for local tribal news are ways to be heard. Political action and advocacy can and does work, so exercise your right by action & vote!

I hope this helps and best of luck!

Auntie Manda

Find Us

Follow Us

Enter Phone Number to Subscribe:

Msg & Data Rates May Apply.
Text STOP to opt out. No purchase necessary.
Expect 4 msgs/mo.Terms and Conditions