August is National Immunization Awareness Month! Immunization plays an important role in keeping you, your family, and your community healthy. Vaccination helps prevent the spread of disease, especially to those who are most likely to suffer serious complications (such as infants and young children, elders, and those with chronic illness or weakened immune systems).Vaccines for teens prevent serious, sometimes life-threatening infections.
One of the most important actions you can take is to make sure you are up to date on your vaccines, even if you were vaccinated when you were younger because the protection wears off over time, so you may need another dose. Learn more about vaccinations and which ones you may need>>
Here’s what you can do to promote vaccines this month:
- Check out this easy-to-use chart, to learn more about vaccines recommended for teens and young adults
- Work with your clinic to host an Immunization Update event for you and your classmates. Select a day, make fliers, offer incentives for those who get a “shot.”
- Organize a concert, rally, or poetry slam to encourage others to get vaccinated.
- Spread the word on your social media pages #NAIM2017
- Take and share the Vaccine Quiz
Need more Ideas? Check out: dosomething.org