In the U.S., suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for young people 10 to 24 years old. Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for AI/ANs 10-34 years old. But suicide canbe prevented.
National Suicide Prevention Week is the Monday through Sunday surrounding World Suicide Prevention Day, September 10th. Here’s what you can do:
- Organize a candlelight ceremony or walk to remember those who have died by suicide.
- Organize a cultural or spiritual event to raise awareness about suicide.
- Organize a training at your school on suicide and depression…host a QPR training or TeenScreen event.
- Educate yourself about suicide and warning signs
- Visit the International Association for Suicide Prevention’s (IASP) webpage for more information, factsheets, and World Suicide Prevention day events worldwide: iasp.info
- Create a video about suicide prevention and post it on We R Native.
If you or someone you know is thinking about suicide, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Need more Ideas? Check out: Dosomething.org