i adopted my daughter who is native american, she is such a blessing, and she is registered with the rosebud lakota tribe, we live in georgia, i just wanted to know if they offer her health ins?

Dear Erin,

You are such a great mom!

A great place to start is the Indian Health Service (IHS), which is the health care system for federally recognized American Indian and Alaska Natives in the United States. IHS provides a comprehensive health service delivery system for approximately 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. It’s important to clarify that the IHS is not a health insurance provider and that the IHS can provide healthcare to only eligible Alaska Native and American Indians at its federal hospitals and clinics.

Specific questions about receiving health care should be discussed with your daughter’s tribe. You can learn more about the Rosebud IHS Service Unit here:

Once you know your daughter can receive care at an IHS facility, contact the facility’s patient registration. They will discuss the registration process, any additional documentation you need to establish your medical record, and then schedule a medical appointment. Since you live in Georgia, you can also look up the nearest IHS by going here:

If you have any other additional questions the IHS Frequently Asked Questions page is a great place to start:

I hope that this helps and best of luck to you and your daughter!

Auntie Amanda



The Indian Health Service is an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services and is responsible for providing federal health services to American Indians and Alaska Natives. The provision of health services to members of federally-recognized tribes grew out of the special government-to-government relationship between the federal government and Indian tribes.

See more from Auntie Manda
Topics: Culture and Language|Identity|Physical Health|Sexual Health