Suicide is a troubling topic that most of us would rather not deal with, but suicide is a reality, and it is more common than we would like to think. By paying attention to warning signs, talking about the “unthinkable,” getting connected with family, friends, and our culture – we may be able to help a friend in a time of need.
Each September you can join We R Native in supporting National Suicide Prevention Month. By educating our friends and family about suicide and mental illness we can spread the word that suicide CAN BE PREVENTED.
- Friend Post Something Concerning?
- Deliberate self harm
- When your friend is talking about suicide
- When someone takes their own life: how you might feel
- Wanting to end your life
- Suicide warning signs
- If you need immediate help, text “Native” to 741741
- Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: Dial or text 988 from any phone for free 24/7 support.
Then, take action and spread the word that suicide CAN BE PREVENTED! Here’s what you can do:
- Organize a cultural or spiritual event to raise awareness about suicide.
- Organize a training at your school on suicide and depression…host a QPR training or TeenScreen event.
- Create a video about suicide prevention and post it on We R Native.